City Hunter 시티헌터 [SERIES]

Devastating, way too tense, and simply gorgeous





I love to have Lee Min Ho on my front page. 

It took me so long to finish this drama. My hard drive broke and I didnt get back to it for way more than a year. Good going. 

So now finally I get to do this review. I've seen so many shows I havent reviewed here, too many for so little spare time. 

But this was quite epic and really popular for more reason than just the scale, it was well deserving of a review. 


Finally reaching the end they lovingly gave a long flash back monologue of the series so I remembered how differently it began. That helped seen as I started it so long ago. 

I still dont remember all that much but The first few episodes were a little long feeling, and slow, but full of action. It didnt hit that hard at first because there was a lot of politics talk I think, but when things start moving it really picks up. 


Cast:

Lee Min Ho - Lee Yoon Sung / John Lee / Poo Chai

Park Min Young - Kim Na Na

Lee Joon Hyuk - Kim Young Joo

Kim Sang Joong - Lee Jin Pyo / Steve Lee

Kim Sang Ho - Bae Shik Joong / Bae Man Deok

Jung Joon - Kim Sang Gook 

Chun Ho Jin - Choi Eung Chan

Hwang Sun Hee - Jin Se Hee 

Goo Ha Ra - Choi Da Hye 
Kim Mi Sook - Lee Kyung Hee 


As you can tell from the cast list and the multiple names on 3 of the characters, its complicated

Im not going to even bother trying to get this right, I will just roughly say that bad war sh*t happened where a group of soldiers were killed and it was all planned and covered up by the South Korean government. 


The child of one of the dead soldiers was stolen by the only survivor of the incident and basically raised on revenge as an assassin, bent on avenging his father, who isnt his father, and then the other father who also isnt his father, and then there's his mother, who is his mother, but didnt know she was his mother, and the father who was actually the father didnt know, but the father who wasnt the father did know all of this and Im so f*cking confused. 




All I really knew at first was no-one knew anything apart from the father who wasnt the father. The first one. He was orchestrating everything from the beginning - we see him weaving all this - but the mess gets worse and worse the longer the series goes on. 


In amongst all this he - Oh I havent even explained yet. The main (stole child of the dead soldier) character is played by the epically-tall-phenomenally stunning-all-watery-eyes-with-seriously-gorgeous-acting-skills-by-the-bucket-load-carrying-Lee Min Ho

At the height of his sudden fandom that year I noticed this giraffe walk onto the screen in the adverts for City Hunter, and thought 'this guy looks interesting' then I found out he was everyone's current heart throb - I hate myself for using that phrase. But people were going crazy. 

To be fair though, after watching the show I think it is justified. He is great. Best looking giraffe I ever saw kicking ass.

And man can he kick ass.



There are some show stealing moments from all the main cast. Kim Na Na (played by Park Min Young) is persistent and innocent and hilarious

For the first half of the series for definite she was a great opposite to Yoon Sung, with all the appropriate bright energy he lacked, bringing his personality out and letting him forget himself for a while. 

She is just such a great match for him, but he always wins over her in every way, teasing and manipulating her. In the end she of course wins in general by being the closest person to him and being able to support him against all his kicking against her.




Kim Sang Joong was so goooooood. Those eyes! Just so burning into everyone he looked at. I cant even explain. All the brilliance of Lee Jin Pyo, the best villain you kind of cant hate but also hate completely if that even makes sense.

    

Lee Joon Hyuk - oh my god. Well, I dont know what to say. Just... I dont even know. I will be looking at his dramas after this. He played the prosecutor after Yoon Sung and had his own story weaved in and out of both Yoon Sung and Kim Na Na's life and the City Hunter revenge mission. 

He was the most heart wrenching - I wont say too much. I will leave it there. *gutted*

I mean just look at that expression >>>>

He was literally awesome. Gah Im starting to flail.

It is full of laughs from the unmistakably Korean style of bickering friendships and also full of tears from everything that happens ever grrrrrrrrrrrrrr so much constant tension

The screen shots are full of the super serious faces that flood the drama. But everyone is so beautiful that really what else do you want.

I dont know how to review this really. It was great, twisty turny like, with all the action I never get from Japanese or Taiwanese cheap ass dramas - I love them so but sometimes I need Korean gangsters and assassins. Its making me itch to start watching Iris again now. Its hilarious to splice episodes of City Hunter with Devil Beside You. The fighting is so different. Badass f*cking awesome vs purple eye shadow bruises. I love this mixture I've got going at the moment.



I think City Hunter is worth the time. I think back to when I started watching it back at my old flat. It was so long ago I feel I didnt do it justice because I left it so long before finishing it. But my hard drive issue was unforeseen so. 

The drama feels really high budget, with a complex and emotional story. Really lovable characters including a kick ass giraffe with a perfect nose

Men shouldnt be allowed to have such perfect hair. I f*cking hate it. Damn this eternal frizz.

Have all the promo shots.











~






No comments:

Post a Comment