ashita no joe 明日のジョー [movie]

restraining myself with the screenshots here might be asking the impossible



For some reason I always sort of forget just how stunningly beautiful Yamapi is. Until I come to my senses after losing consciousness following a random picture of bit of TV footage escaping out from the depths onto my screen and punching me in the face with a great big *this guy cant be human* realisation (this happens time and time again)


I am aware that, as he is the most sort after idol in Japan right now, it is becoming almost uncool to like him – now come on, what the f*ck? Don’t get all anti-fan on me now people. That is just stupid. No amount of that is really going to counter the immense insurmountable greatness that is that crazy little cracker we call Yamapigeon. *ahem* I mean Yamapi. No, actually I so mean Yamapigeon.
 
 Ok, so I’m not going to spend this whole thing ranting about Yamapi’s godlike genius because if you have more than half a brain cell it should be f*cking obvious. I will rant about the movie though, as that it what I am supposedly here to do.

Well, maybe I’m going to rant a bit more about Yamapigeon – I just never know how much of a fan girl mood I’m in until I get going. Usually the screen shots set me off. I’ll try to restrain.


Ashita no Joe has been awaited with much hope, expectation, and excitement. A really popular manga, this movie was talked about constantly all over the internet while it was being filmed due to the anticipation of fans of the manga, the film makers, and the main stars alike.
 
These guys worked f*cking hard on this film. It paid off in buckets of brilliance and a resulted in a beautiful movie.
 
 
Joe (Yamapi) lives in a poor town with little to his name but his character and ability to fight. He is a bit of a street rat and winds up in jail after a brawl. In a haphazard way he begins to learn to box and while in prison he meets Rikishi (Iseya Yuseke), a pro boxer, who becomes his rival and motivation. For Rikishi also, the influence of his new challenger is a destined important meeting which begins and ultimately ends a chapter of life for the both of them.


It’s pretty sad, I warn you that. But it is as moving and purposeful as it was intended to be. It is also a quietly funny, pretty film, and although it looks to be bleak and hard it is actually easier on the eyes and heart than you might think.



Yes, it definitely helps that Yamapi has so much charisma that it is hard to fit it all on screen – sometimes when he plays more subdued roles like this I half expect him to just explode with some random oddness, just to get it out of his system, that would usually be too precious to cut out if it weren’t for the more sombre nature of the movie. He is, as ever, his natural self; easy to watch, easy to believe.
 
 
Ashita no Joe is over two hours long but it doesn’t feel like a drag – the only reason we kept checking the time on the video was that we couldn’t work out what was going to happen as there was so much time left for things to go wrong. Well, yeah, they do kinda go wrong and we should just not ask. But never mind. The tears are very much there but not constant.



I’m glad we like Rikishi’s character, and I’m also glad of the choice of actor. Actually, no-one bugged me in this whole movie. Lots of familiar faces and not a moment of ----- umm, I just have to stop and tangent for a moment. Someone totally drove passed my window blaring whitney houston’s version of I will always love you, like, fully loud and it completely threw me off course.



God, where the hell was I? Oh yeah, Ashita no Joe. Worth watching. Don’t listen to people being tw*ts about it. If you want I can lay it all out fan girl style: Yamapi covered in blood a lot, getting pummelled, beating the sh*t out of other people, running about all over the show with that brilliant little arrogant smirk of his, cropped trousers (^_^) and that f*cking adorable train driver hat – god, has it got it’s own name in the credits? Cos it should.


Yamapi trained like a mental for this role so give him the damn time to see this film. There is a reason he is so popular. He wasn’t even born – he just popped out into existence made out of pure genius so don’t bugger about umming and ahhing whether or not you like Ashita no Joe, you do. It is just a f*cking movie. And a good one. So get over it.


I don’t really want to do a long review of this one as I feel it is turning into crazy ranting time, it deserves to be watched so go do that. And look at all these lovely pictures. Yamapigeon, prettiest bird in the whole coup.












a quick note to yamapigeon, i heard this movie was so hard that it has kinda put you off acting. if you stop acting i will track you down and beat you with a big fat stick. ...made of really bad stuff. ...that smells. ...and stains your clothes. ...and makes a really annoying sound when it hits you.    you have been warned.

damn it i wish i ruled the world.



~

No comments:

Post a Comment