Devil beside you 惡魔在身邊 E Mo Chai Chen Pien [series]

Was every one in KO one or am i going crazy?




Main cast:

Mike He - Jiang Meng Devil
Rainie Yang - Qi Yue 

Kingone Wang - Sang Yuan Yi basket ball Captain
Tsai Pei Lin - Qing Zi

Masuyama Yuki - Yu Yang Ping
Ivy Fan - Xin Li Xiang 

Figaro Ceng - Yuan Chuan Rang (Ahrang)



I know I've left loads of people out of the cast list but I really cant be bothered to look everyone up. This is the bare bones of it anyway.

So I just finished this last night. I raced through the last 6 or 7 episodes because it started to get really good. 

I had heard about this from various subbing teams and forums years ago, but never saw it. As Im currently obsessed with Rainie Yang I thought I would give this a go. 

At first I thought it was a bit weird that it had been so popular, I found it to be a bit stupid, but I loved her funny faces and comic slapstick acting. Then the drama grew up from a teenager to a young adult and I understood the appeal. 


Everyone grows throughout the series and even though it is super budget and over the top it has a definite draw, in its good heart and awkward ways. Just like the main characters themselves.

The devil is played by Mike He, who has the most ridiculous smirk of anyone Ive ever seen but whatever. And his prey is Qi Yue played by Rainie perfect hair Yang. Its a proper teenage style story of changing hearts and growing up, but in a melodramatic setting. 



The devil plays with Qi Yue as his own personal pet when he discovers her secret love for basket ball captain Yuan Yi and holds it over her like a ticking time bomb. 

Eventually that all comes out and through the torment the devil and Qi Yue find themselves in love with each other. The problem turns out not to be the change of heart from fantasies of Yuan Yi, but the fact that the devil's father and Qi Yue's mother are getting married. They are siblings in love.

Now, I spent a good long while screaming at the TV about there being no blood relation between them so what the hell was the problem, but it turns out the only people making a big deal out of it was themselves. So it really feels kind of justified - all the things that happen are mainly just due to their own insecurities and paranoia. 

They do face opposition all the way through, dont get me wrong, but they way it plays out is actually pretty realistic, sort of, I think, maybe, because, well I cant explain really but I feel like it does give the appearance of being a disastrous situation - which is how it would feel to them. So if we are watching this unfold through teenage eyes, them yeah, I think it is pretty true to how it would feel.

It is really melodramatic, full of hormones, mind games, no-one ever just saying what they mean. The thoughts of all the characters which we hear through narration show just how mental teenagers really are. They do think like that, with constant conflicting thoughts and fears. I think i would have died crying if I had watching this when I was that age. But now, in my ancient years, it took me a while to remember what that felt like. 



The actors are all really top class though, especially for something which feels a bit dated and cheesy, they keep it interesting enough to get you through the over dramatic dialogue and panic stricken confession scenes. 


I love a bit of low budget Taiwan melodrama though, so Im all good with this show. 

I actually loved everyone's eventual reactions to their plight. Especially the support from their stupid friends.

I liked the relationship between Yang Ping and Li Xiang played by the two most gorgeous people ever, and the odd combination of the captain Yuan Yi and Quin Zi - him fighting with her dad was... weird.


And Ahrang. what can I say. That stupid hair cut. But god that boy can smile. Figaro Ceng has a kind of Nishijima Takahiro kind of bursting smile. 

He reminds me of so many people smashed into one. He is so damn cute, but all the time the other characters are calling him cute when he has that stupid ass hair cut. 

I was laughing so hard. I was so glad when he brushed out that stupid yankii hair style. He much more suits the bounding puppy look.

I think I might be slightly in love with Ivy Fan now. She is gorgeous. 



And I'm about to start watching the other show with Mike He, Rainie Yang and Kingone Wang called Huan Huan Ai so we'll see how that goes. Looks good. And cheesy. I'm excited.  


I'm going to leave it hear having not really explained anything about it at all. Its one of those rough guy treats girl like sh*t until she falls for him and they go through hell trying to stay together even though he is a total bastard kinds of shows. Just think of it like Hana Yori Dango, but good.






~




No comments:

Post a Comment