Liar Game ライアーゲーム [series] [movie]

Warning: full if my Toda Erika ureshii squees





Somehow I now have to start the massive undertaking that is reviewing Liar Game. This is a two series and one movie drama starring Matsuda Shota and Toda Erika full of twists and turns, psychological nasties and larger than life characters.

This is not a difficult drama to watch considering the mathematics and underhand schemes are a little challenging to keep up with at times, I remember was so upset to find I only had the two series and there was a whole other part I didn’t have – I spent ages trying to find the movie in a panic to gain some closure to the whole thing.

I will definitely watch this again – maybe soon – it has been a long long time since I saw this and I could watch Toda Erika be little miss cute worried face all day long.

In fact, I think she and Massu should get together and make adorable worried faced babies. Man, they would have some seriously cute children.
How can I make this happen…


Kanzai Nao is scouted by the Liar Game due to her unshakable honesty and pure personality. A game to force people into debt and make them swindle each other out of everything, limits are tested and a fortune is set to be made from naïve victims.

A swindler newly released from jail also joins the game after Nao asks him for help. Akiyama has the quick mind of a genius gambler and through their polar opposing actions attempt to save the whole group of players from this evil game.


I love Toda Erika. I just love her. This was the series that really solidified it, but I had already fallen for her way before. This was actually a really long time ago, thinking about it, I watched it all from the beginning of season 1 as the movie was coming out in early 2010. It was one big epic chunk of Liar Game.

Some characters feature in both series and even on to the movie – the awesome Fukanaga (Suzuki kosuke) and Tanimura & Eri from the Liar Game team (Watanabe Ikkei and Kichise Michiko)


My favourite character doesn’t come in until season two, Katsuragi Ryo played by Kikuchi Rinko (Norwegian wood) turns up as a nemesis to Akiyama and god I loved her and her cool theme tune that played every time she came on screen.

At this point, seen as I have brought it up, I should mention that capsule カプセル do the soundtracks to both series’ and the film, and my god they are awesome. So I would suggest getting them even if you don’t plan on watching Liar game, or you don’t listen to capsule. Maybe do though. It’s worth it.

I always find it hard doing reviews on longer series as I don’t want to give anything away from later down the line and I end up not explaining anything.

The sets are really cool, the tricks are very clever, the characters are off the wall at best, the plot is up and down more than premenstrual mood swings, and Toda Erika is just plain adorable, I love her I love her I love her.

Normally, sickly sweet characters don’t resonate with me, and I can usually never find their substance, but I just can’t help but like Kanzaki Nao. Matsuda Shota taught me the ~te form of the verb oshiemasu as he repeates it god knows how many times as his character Akiyama struts around like some psycho-genius wanting to show off his great big brain at any opportunity. I now cannot hear anyone oshieteiruyo without thinking of him. Well, never mind.

I actually should not be doing these reviews; I have been doing this all day instead of getting on with uni work so I’m going to stop here. I can’t even be bothered to end this properly so I’m just going to chuck in a load of promo stuff from the show.

 








~

1 comment:

  1. Dorama and moovie are awesome! Erika Toda....I'm in love with her!
    Matsuda Shota arrrrrr SO sexy in spite of his awful clothes shit's color xDDD His face is...is...sorry for my poor English, but I think I can't find the right word even in my own language
    Also the stori is very interesting and unpredictable....and openings are adorable. One of the best dorama I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete