Q10 キュート [series]

Pafu!

 

It wasn’t a half length series but I still watched it in a day. I couldn’t leave it. I love Sato Takeru (Kamen Rider Den-o, Mr Brain, Princess Princess D, Bloody monday), I’ve accepted that, but I don’t think I fully realised just how different he is in everything. It had been a while since I had seen Kamen rider and watching a few episodes straight after Q10 just brought it home to me what a great actor he is.

I love his comedy eeeehhhhh??!!’s and his little slapstick sugokku shokku moments. And as much as he geniusly falls down and gets pummelled in Kamen rider, in Q10 his comedy is even funnier and a little bit more grown up. There is just something quietly intelligent about his approach to his roles I think, the more I watch him the more I see how great he is.

Gah, enough ureshii squeeing about Sato Takeru.



The female lead Kyuuto is played by Maeda Atsuko (AKB48) and I thought she was brilliant. I think I will even watch this drama again pretty soon. There was something I can’t really explain that I loved about it. I was not impressed with the new Hana Kimi, and couldnt even finish it. But her performance in this was perfect.
Fukai Heita (Sato) finds a robot and accidentally activates her requiring him to give her a name. Seeing the weird barcode/stamp thing on her foot he names her Kyuuto, and from that moment on all manner of difficulties arise as he has to be responsible for her at school and keep her out of trouble with her secret safe.
Heita has to work out whether it was really by chance he was the one to activate her or whether he is meant to be with her. Kyuuto is more and more sure that he is the only one she should be with and it may be more than a default program setting.

I should have learnt from Zettai Kareshi that programs about robots and cyborgs  don’t tend to end completely sweet fluffy fuwa fuwa, but it wasn’t as soul destroyingly sad as that one. Nor did it have a special that served no other purpose than to open up the wounds of the last episode and make you go through it all over again. What a depressing end to such a fun series. Q10 on the other hand seems to offer more acceptable reasons for the outcome and it is a very sweet concept - albeit a little potentially paradoxical.

Who else have we got in this series? Ah yes, Kaku Kento (tumbling, samurai high school, young blackjack) I don’t get to see his face crop up enough. I’m beginning to really rate him, I hope he does more stuff soon, I would love to see him in a lead role – he is so diverse.



And also there is Renbutsu Misako from Zenkai girl – thankfully playing someone who is really likable this time. She plays a girl with red hair, in a rock band, who tries to keep out of school life as much as possible. She becomes friends with Heita’s friend in hospital, Kubo Takehiko (Ikematsu Sosuke) who is a really great character – he pulls the best face when he suddenly realises he has a crush on her after she falls flat on the floor. Their story arc is really sweet.

The little side story between Takahata Mitsuki and Kawai (Takahata Mitsuki) is lovely but unnecessarily unfortunate after how cute it all is, but there is a lot of fate destiny type stuff in this drama so I guess the reasons are in the intentions of conveying that.


There are other familiar faces in the school faculty but as I can’t get on the internet right now I’m not going to do a full cast list.
There is a crazed otaku who is after Kyuuto, a mysterious girl who seems to know too much about Kyuuto and Heita, a great bit of him having to pose like a pop star (ahaha the music video made me laugh so much), Kyuuto saying ‘pafu’ all the time – which got cuter and cuter the more she did it, the whole class screaming an SOS in the school yard for some reason that I didn’t quite understand other than the metaphor that was intended to help the classmate who couldn’t ask for help, and I don’t know what the damn rubix cubes were about.

Ah but the pafu thing was so cute.






promo poster:








~


No comments:

Post a Comment