Kamen Rider Den-o 仮面ライダー電王 [series]

Can i have a pet Ryutaros? I'll keep him out of trouble i promise


So I finished Kamen Rider Den-o a while back. It was a long haul – I’m not sure why it took me so long to finish but I think it was something to do with not wanting it to end. But it has taken me even longer to write it up. My posting has got some sort of latency drag going on now. I cant ever seem to write stuff up when at the actual time of watching. It makes my screen shots a bit rubbish I tend to forget half the storyline but never mind.

I’m now working my way through Kabuto and W, ive seen bits of Decade, and have a whole heap of others lined up on my hard drive ready for my constant long train rides to London. Kamen Rider is great for long train rides at sh*t o clock in the evening when I’ve been up since 6am.

So, Den-o specifically is a Tokusatsu drama of 49 full length episodes and a movie 俺誕生 ‘I’m born’. There are three other movies that accompany the series (a red, blue and yellow) but I haven’t finished them all yet. They stand alone as extras for after the series is done, which is good as I have no idea when you are supposed to watch them and in what order. Sato Takeru is not in these either so I’m not exactly jumping off my seat to watch them.


Annoyingly enough, there is nothing to say at what point you watch the movie during the series, it just prattles on about it in the credits for a while then all of a sudden the next episode doesn’t make any sense anymore. That is when you have to splice the movie in between. It is after episodeツキすぎ、ノリすぎ、変わりすぎ [28] in case  you want to know.


Cast list:
Sato Takeru - Nogami Ryotaro
Matsumoto Wakana - Nogami Airi
Nakamura Yuichi - Sakurai Yuto
Shiratori Yuriko - Hana
Matsumoto Tamaki - Kohana
Akiyama Rina - Naomi
Ishimaru Kenjiro - Owner
Ishiguro Hideo - Kai


Voice actors:
Seki Toshihiko – Momotaros
Yusa Kōji – Urataros
Terasoma Masaki – Kintaros
Suzumura Kenichi – Ryutaros
Ōtsuka Hōchū – Deneb


This was a great series to start with. Having known about Kamen rider for ages and seen the Decade movie and bits of the series, I wasn’t sure where to start. There are so many versions of Kamen Rider, so in the end I went with Den-o purely because I love the three lead actors.

We first meet Nogami as he ends up (still on his bike) stuck up in a tree. That pretty much sets the pace for how unlucky and clumsy he is. Sato is really very funny and watchable in Kamen Rider I can’t even explain.

This unbelievable world of a time traveling train called Denliner and spirits called Imajin who seek to poses the memories of the living in order to travel back in time to destroy the past and change the future, was thrust upon Nogami all of a sudden by a feisty girl who believes him to be something called a singularity point. There is quite a lot of made up physics to keep up with so I wont bother to go into it in detail, but basically they end up fighting these rubber suited bad guys to save the past, future, and everything else that floats in and out of the in between.



Nogami is useless at first, but tries so hard to become strong. He ends up being possessed by four (then later another) Imajin who in turn become his allies and help him to fight in his masked form.



Sato Takeru had the huge task of acting like all these different characters as well as his own. He is such a fantastic actor, and this appears to be one of the more involved series of Kamen Rider, having so many episodes and such an epic strong storyline.

He had to breakdance as Ryutaros, charm ladies as Urataros, Be a narcaleptic bear of a warrior as Kintaros, stomp around like an angry bored teenager as Momotaros, and ponce about with feathers in his hair as the arogant prince of no-one but himself, Sieg.

We meet Sakurai Yuto later as the story starts to properly unfold, and it gives a brilliant chance for Nakamura Yuichi to be his goofy self, running about shouting and pouting like it was soon to go out of fashion. There is a long and sad past between these two characters and Nogami’s sister Airi, but as it takes a rather long time for that to become clear, I wont tell you anything about it. The only thing we know at first is that there is something which connects them all which still binds them together in the present, Sakurai vanished from their lives some time ago, and although they were once to be married, Airi doesn't remember him at all. Matsumoto Wakana is beautiful as ever. Airi has lost her memories of their tragic past and smiles bittersweetly through her forgotten sadness. I love how she calls the coffee beans Kōhii-tachi when she explains that they are working hard to make nice coffee.


A great cast list to then throw a bunch of great extended cast list on top… and then the voice actors – they pulled in the best bunch for this including Seki Toshihiko (bleach, full metal alchemist, gundam seed, naruto, one piece, ninja scroll, paranoia agent, gunslinger girl) who played Momotaros, Nogami’s first Imajin,

and my personal favourite Suzumura Kenichi (gakuen alice, black butler, d-gray man, Gokusen (sawada), naruto shippuden, ouran high school host club, soul eater) *sigh* and that is just the ones I have seen. He plays Ryutaros, Nogami’s fourth Imagin. I have a huge fan girl issue with this man. I shall try and keep that under wraps for this post as it is a little pointless to include here. But in all serious-fan-girl-ness, he is the coolest and I’m singing Taylor the latte boy at the mere thought.


Ok, so the plot is good, the quotes are awesome, I even have the Denliner train whistle as my message alert phone tone. Actually I also have Sakurai Yuto’s ‘saisho ni itte oku ore wa kanari tsuyoi’ blurb as my ring tone. Which is probably why I can never hear it.



The bad guys are great, we don’t just have the rubber suited Imajin we also have Kai *swoon* I reeeeeeeeeeally squeetastcially love Ishiguro Hideo as a bad guy. Especially as a weirdo one who has a stupid laugh and poncho and talks like he hasn’t really got a clue what the hell is going on. I like it when he leans upside down over some railing in the stadium like a kid playing at a park, while threatening to destroy the world.

This is such a playful fun series, but also full of tears and tantrums. It gets really quite sad in places and I don’t know how many times some of the main characters wanted to die then come back and then die again – my poor little heart could barely stand it. There was a lot of stuff about memories being precious and the glue that holds the past, present and future together.

I really enjoyed Nakamura Yuichi being a complete over the top shouty brat, and Sato Takeru being a useless but determined absolute dork, and Matsumoto Wakana being sickeningly beautiful and lovely to watch. When any of these three cried I lost myself to tears as well.




This series was truly truly great and I think it was a great one to start the Kamen Rider saga off with as an introduction to this epically huge world of Japanese masked heroes. I have found some series’ from quite a time back when the rubber suited bad guys were quite ridiculous and the Riders were less impressive on the weapons and clothing front and more about the summersaults in the air and high kicks. It will be fun to watch these as well as newer ones that use more effects and bigger guns.



If you get a bought copy that isn’t fansubbed with lots of unnecessary swearing then it is perfect for kids as well as adults. This series is great for so many reasons; the live performance that comes with the dvd extras is really good and totally worth watching. I will forever have this series to thank for properly showing me a good way in to Kamen Rider and hooking me completely.



Can i get through this whole post without mentioning Nakamura Yuichi's nose.....
i failed.


slightly more relevant to the series, have some of the promo stuff:





 


my personal favourite:

kamen rider is awsome and if you dont like it you are in fact a foolish fool from foolsville called foolio.







~

No comments:

Post a Comment