Noriko goes to Seoul 노리코, 서울에 가다 [series]

oh that coat. seriously...


Leapt on this as soon as I heard it was done. Finally getting around to writing it up. I’ve been liking the Korea/Japan cross overs I’m seeing lately. I have just watched the mini drama Friends フレンズ / 프렌즈 with Fukada Kyoko and Won Bin from back in 2002 (well I have one more part to go) which was the first drama ever to be co produced by both countries, and I also have virgin snow to watch at some point soon. But for now, Noriko goes to Seoul pops up into our lives with a great excuse to listen to Hongki sing and be mean and generally do what he does best. I was hoping for a bit more of Hongki speaking Japanese but alas he only says one line right at the end – worth an ureshii squee though.

This was a Korean production staring Japanese actor Takashima Reiko (atashinchi no danshi, Yamato nadeshiko shichi henge) as Noriko, and Korean star Lee Hongki who we should all know by now from FT Island at the very least, but also the Korean drama You’re beautiful, and the Japanese drama Muscle Girl. Hongki here plays MinHa whom Noriko meets at an audition when she travels to Korea with dreams of becoming a singer.




Noriko’s intentions are not fame and money. On hearing she had developed lung cancer and also fearing for her daughter’s happiness and motivation, Noriko decides she must show her child how to be strong and follow her dreams in the face of hardship and impossible circumstances. She does not tell her family of her illness and leaves her family in search of a way to set an example to her suffering daughter.



MinHa is an arrogant but immensely talented guy who makes more money out of teaching than performing. He wants to prove himself but always falls short at his auditions. Noriko enlists his help (and I use the term loosely) to get through the auditions even though he himself never manages to get to show his true talent on the stage.


There is a lot of banter from Hongki as you can imagine, it is all woe is me for a good long while, He does it so well – I love his spoilt brat face. He proves no matter what he does, he is still a whiney little boy. Love him for that. But also his singing is flawless – as it always is without question. He sings a fair bit in this production and they’re all FT songs so it’s a bit of fanservice going on there. 


Noriko is a very strong and likable character who you root for all the way. She gets a good handle on MinHa quite quickly and the two have such a sweet relationship built on their desires to push themselves and subsequently each other.

There are some really great moments, it’s very touching and really quite sad at some points (yes Hongki cries and that made me cry and everyone was crying and I wish they wouldn’t cry) but the majority of it was filled with that argumentative banter that Korean TV delivers so well, and made it enjoyable to watch with or without Hongki fan tinted glasses.

I have to mention the coat that Hongki wears. What the f*ck is that all about. Seriously I’m lost for words as to how to describe that thing.

Well, I think this will do for the review; otherwise I will only get sucked into the trap of ranting about Hongki’s fantastic teeth again. I only wanted to do this post so the first picture on my home page wasn’t Nakamaru’s mental furrows of worry.

that coat....seriously....

                              


promo poster and shots from the set:













~

No comments:

Post a Comment