Youkai Ningen Bem 妖怪人間べム [series]

best monster boy love but not really but definitely genius awesomeness





I cant believe I never reviewed this when I watched it! It was the gayest monster in the village. I honestly thought I had already reviewed this. Im not sure why its not here. 

well I loved it. All ways round I loved it. I may have to watch a fair bit of it again to write this review properly but Im sure I can remember enough of the plot to get a point across. 

well, maybe. ok, maybe i just remember how gorgeous Anne is and how boy love Kamenashi and Kitamura are. oh and the cute little boy! oh he was great. ok i'll do a cast list seen as i havent done one for the last few reviews due to being spackered at work. yes spackered

cast: 
Bemu - Kamenashi Kazuya 
Bela - Watanabe Anne 
Belo - Suzuki Fuku 
Natsume Akinori - Kitamura Kazuki 

Woo that took ages didnt it. Well I know there were more people in it who were important but I cant really remember. 

 I loved this show. so much. It was literally gayer than any boy love movie Ive seen - even more full of longing looks and squealy moments than uselss takumi kun. I just loved it

It was not meant to be so ridiculous but Kamenashi and Kitamura adore each other so much in real life that you could not escape the love on screen. so funny. 

Anne made it a joy to watch also. Her arms! gorgeous gorgeous arms! Seriously beautiful woman. 

I always think that but christ I really think this was one of her best characters. 

She had such a different voice and manner - i loved her being so aggressive and ungirlie. I really thought she was poised and perfect. 

So Suzuki Fuku - well what can I say. god that boy can act. I mean really. seriously amazing acting. I think he is the strawberry on this cake. lovely sweet little boy who makes the whole thing complete. perfect casting through and through


Kitamura is cast so well against kamenashi, but always great anyway. It is so boy love moody - with all that wanting to confess (his monster self) but not wanting to be disowned. 

It works well as a metaphor, but I like to just joke about it on a surface level. 

I died almost every episode from laughing at the gay. it was such joy. SUCH joy. 

The family of monster people (kamenashi, anne and suzuki) are searching to find out about their past - how they were made and why. most importantly how they can become human. 

Its a desperate hunt to find their secrets and always against time - the time when they will be found out by the village and have to run away again. 


It is a struggle to be accepted, to be loved, to be themselves. yeah ok, its definitely a metaphor. But aside from the gay pride parade costume ideas Im now having, this drama is seriously good! I swear please believe me

The cheese is just the best, the super serial faces are so brilliant, and the poncing around in a trench coat being all awesome saving the day and being thoroughly TORTURED by the whole thing is just... 

well thats just Kamenashi for a start. but its just great. really so much fun

I like the weird flashes of dog like senses they use to sense where people are - and Kamenashi gets to use is poser cane. I like all his poser moves in this. Its a squeal fest from start to finish.


The imagery is gorgeous. the sets and stuff I mean. you know the kind of fantasy we dont see much of in Japanese dramas, I wish for more. 

The monster costumes were basically out of the rubber suity bad guy wardrobe of Sailor moon or something but Kamenashi's silver hair makes up for absolutely any flaw it may have.

Im really wanting to go watch this again right now. its one you could definitely sit through more than once.

its so stupid that its easy to watch but emotional enough to make you actually care what happens


Ive just read a super serial review of this show also comparing it to the LGBT issues and such - but put very much more diplomatically. 

I really dont care im gonna use the word gay in any which way I want, but yes it seems im not the only one who saw the relation.

Mostly mine just came from squealing about the joys between Kamenashi and Kitamura but the whole story really does parallel.

The ending does offer them closure - or a choice thereof. and (not to spoil) I was happy that it panned out more true to themselves. It'll make sense if you watch it. 



The struggles are more important while you are watching, the journey is present and real. 

but after the fact all I can really remember is Anne's fantastic arms and the shiny love between kameMura

I really thought I had done this rant before. I feel like Ive said all this. I know I had a massive twitter rant about it with Kali but I thought Id reviewed it! This feels weird to write because of that. 

And it was so long ago when I saw it (as it was airing). 

I was waiting for this one to come out and i know I wasnt disappointed. its hard to review so long after the fact though. 

I hope my screen shots can bring back those memories and keep them imortalised in shiny gay joys of joyfulness forever.

I love this drama.





~





No comments:

Post a Comment